(In and Around) Grebeg Sekaten

I went to see Grebeg Sekaten with Aura yesterday. Came a bit late, but since I didn't intend to shoot the procession itself anyway it wasn't a big deal. There were helluva other photographers doing that already. But for you who don't know what Grebeg Sekaten is all about, the most awaited moment is when the palace sends out two gunungan (literally "mountain") consist of foods and vegetables to be given to the people. It is said that those who could get the foods from gunungan will receive blessings, so believers go crazy to snatch anything they could grab from it. Imagine a mosh pit, minus any music.

But anyway, as I said I don't have any pictures of that particular moment but here are few snaps before the event.



image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name


image name

image name
Who knows, perhaps in the future I will be known as "that guy who shoots shadows upside down", heh. Nonetheless I'm quite fond of this method, sometimes really interesting shapes do appear.


image name


image name


image name

The light got pretty harsh at times, I loved to search for high contrast scenes with deep shadows during those moments.

And consequently, umbrellas are abundant.


image name


image name


image name


image name

And that would be all, ciao!

9 comments:

pdtnc said...

great shots.... I just clicked through from your jpg page.

Wid said...

Adrian, thanks for dropping by. :)

Artis said...

amazing photos.. realy. digging those high contrasts!

Anonymous said...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/miburoushi/Blog/grebeg03.jpg

^ I love this, along with all the other pics!

You really inspire me. I love your style, but then, I think you already know that : )

mustafah said...

first and third shot are great.

Anonymous said...

lovely series...gotta love your B&W, especially high contrast ones. I keep on looking at them more and more...something is really going on with your style.

Anonymous said...

"(In and Around) Grebeg Sekaten"-nya membuat mata segar. Cakep2. 8->

Anonymous said...

awesome..! 3,8,9 hhhmmm

Unknown said...

Great post!

I particularly love these images grebeg08.jpg and grebeg11.jpg!